Tuesday, April 24, 2018

DAY 24: I PROMISE MY MOTHER A POEM

§

Today Glo/NaPoWriMo would have us "write an elegy that has a hopefulness to it." 

So without further ado, let's get writing!

Mom last week. I would have used a photo of her at the place referred to in the poem but poor Goldie Laptop is still trying to download some 50,000 (I know, I know) pictures so I can't access the one I'm thinking of. The poem I read her is one I wrote right here at the beginning of the month. Regarding the last line in this new poem, she's tickled pink!


I Promise My Mother a Poem


Yesterday, after I got her to put her hearing aids in,

I read a poem to my mother, 

a poem about her and me, 

the time we swam naked in the river, 

and after I was finished 

she asked if I would read it at her party,

should she be around for her hundredth 

in a couple of years.


I told her I will, and not only that, 

I'll read it at her funeral.

§





3 comments:

Caroline Woodward said...

We should all have 98 year old mums with such a great sense of humour, obviously a genetic trait. Love this and the original skinny-dipping one too!

rinebird said...

Love this poem, Linda

Linda Crosfield said...

Thank you, Caroline and Linda, for reading AND for commenting. Kind of takes one out of the vacuum, if you know what I mean. xo