Saturday, April 21, 2018

DAY 21: WATCH ME WATCH

§

Today, Glo/NaPoWriMo would have us play with the myth of Narcissus. "After reading the myth, try writing a poem that plays with the myth in some way. For example, you could imagine that imagine the water is speaking to you, the narcissus flower. Or you could write a poem in which the narcissus berates the Kardashians for stealing their neurosis. Or a poem that comments on the narcissism of our time, i.e. beauty and body obsession, etc."

Weird enough for you? Here goes...




Watch Me Watch

You want for nothing
yet feel empty, lost.
You have no clue 
how hard I work
to make you look as perfect
as you think you do.

I watch you watch me,
you with hair 
that begs a finger-comb
or at the very least, a flick.
Do your hands turn blue
in this nightfall cold?

When the sun goes down,
and my surface sheen turns black, 
you can no longer find 
yourself in me. 
You weep and moan,
how lonely that must be.

The look of consternation
on your face
when you lean in
and I allow the wind
to stir me as it does,
quite takes my breath away.

Come closer, little one,
come down to where
our lips might meet. 
In fact, come step inside.
Come in, come in—
my arms are open wide.

§










No comments: