Friday, April 20, 2018

DAY 20: POETRY, PROSE, AND FERRY RIDES

§

Yes, another #bookspinepoem is coming your way. I was out just about all day on behalf of poetry.

I drove to Balfour to catch the 2:50PM ferry over to Kootenay Bay/Riondel, which is where I was reading. 

Another view from the ferry from Balfour to Kootenay Bay.  
Longest free ferry ride in the world (or at least it used to be. Now that the new ferry is faster, who knows?)
 Got there in plenty of time to a) refresh my memory as to the location of the library and b) to go and park by the lake and work out (ie. time) my reading.

Riondel's library is now the home of the Riondel Historical Society. These two, Terry Taylor and Susan Hulland, are two members of the Society and have written books on the history of the area.
Susan Hulland was first up. She read a delightful section from a memoir she's writing about growing up in Oyama.  

Wendy Scott organized the reading. She's a lovely hostess.

Alanda Greene read an engrossing section from her sequel to Napi's Dance. 

Luanne Armstrong began her reading by showing us a couple of books she's helped midwife into the world.

Luanne then read from the introduction to her new memoir, due out this fall from Caitlin Press.

I read a few poems, including two that began life this month, right here on this blog. You can tell; take a look at this, for example.

I caught the 8:40 ferry back to my side of the lake by the skin of my teeth. Drove to Nelson where I'm housesitting for a couple of weeks. 
Not entirely sure where I'm supposed to sleep!

But I'll be okay

Oh yes! I promised you a #bookspinepoem and here it is, inspired by the absolutely incredible part of the world in which I'm lucky enough to live. Assisting authors: Catherine Anthony Clark, Jennifer LoveGrove, an anthology edited by Jodie Renner in which I have a couple of poems, and Miranda July.


Now to see if I can get a small corner of that bed. Thank you, my lovely, faithful readers, for checking in. I know who you are!

§

No comments: