Monday, December 24, 2012

An Open Letter to PM Stephen Harper and Feliz Navidad

§

Dear Prime Minister Harper:

It's Christmas Eve. I expect you're looking forward to spending time with your family over the next day or so, but if you could find it in your heart to take the time to meet with Chief Spence, I and so many, many other Canadians would be very grateful. I'm sure I don't have to go into the reasons why she's fasting. I'm sure I don't have to go on at length as to why I think it's important that you listen to her. You're a busy man. And she is a busy woman who is trying very hard to get your attention. Could you give her just a little of it?

Thank you for listening and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Yours truly,

Linda Crosfield

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just sent the above to our PM's email address. Doubt I'll hear back. I'm in Mexico, Wifi is a tad sketchy and I wanted to get something off to express my feelings about Chief Theresa Spence who is on day #13 of a hunger strike in an attempt to encourage a face-to-face meeting between her and the Prime Minister. 

I also wanted to update my blog—I was crazy busy with the wind-up of ModPo and making books before leaving for Mexico. 

We’ve been here for a few days now and are quickly falling into the routine of get up, drink coffee, read, go walk about, stare at the ocean (which we haven’t actually set foot in yet, in Ted’s case, nor feet in mine), eat, read, nap, read, nap, curse the boom boxes, and go to bed. I have sustained many bites from nefarious insects. Ted has not. Doesn’t seem fair. Last night I had to spray the wall beside the bed with Off, thanks to the appearance of an army of tiny ant-like critters, light in colour and long of leg. These ones apparently don’t bite, but still…it’s a bit disconcerting to feel something dashing over you like reindeers through snow. Also disconcerting are the Christmas carols that fill the deliciously warm air thanks to speakers on the church roof that a mediocre marksperson could hit from our balcony if so inclined. Mostly, we’re not inclined, but there are times…and for the record we’re NOT dreaming of a white Christmas; that’s why we’re here.

Here are a few pictures.



First fish tacos at Pedro's

View overlooking the Bay

Tall gringo hoping for a whack at the piñata

Tall gringo communing with burro

Fab fish on the beach with Mart and Pam

Ted coming home with his bike

One of my friends

Pedro's got art on his cart

Kids love the water

Adrian, who writes your name on a grain of rice

Beach vendor

Beach 
One of those pesky ants

Mr. Iguana

On the mangrove bird-watching tour
Merry Christmas to All!

§

No comments: